American Pulse Association & the USA Dry Pea and Lentil Council
Supervisor: Vice President for Research & Member Services (VP-RMS)
Overall Responsibilities: Responsible for implementing all aspects of the Pulse Industry research strategic plan. Assist and advise Sr. Management Staff about ways to utilize research efforts to support the priorities of the industry.
Accountability: The Director of Research is accountable to the CEO and VP-RMS for all duties performed particularly in the areas of strategic research planning, research policy, research grants and research project management.
1. Pulse Research Strategic Plan. Plan, develop, and implement all aspects of the pulse industry research plan in coordination with Sr. Management Staff and industry research committees.
2. Pulse Industry Research Needs. Inventory and prioritize a list of research needs for the industry. Maintain a system that integrates these needs into the Pulse Crop Research Strategic Plan.
3. Database of Researchers and Research. Develop and maintain a web-based searchable database tool providing information about pulse crop researchers and conducted pulse crop research. Update this database periodically.
4. Research Policy. Support Sr. Management Staff and industry to establish policy and support materials concerning pulse crop research, funding of that research, dietary guidelines, nutritional impacts and other policy concerning pulse crops.
5. Research Grant Funding. Search out and write grant requests to leverage industry research funds with funding from government sources, foundations or direct industry contributions.
6. Special event coordination. Plan and coordinate special events that promote pulse crops and facilitate execution of the goals of the strategic research plan.
7. Technical Expertise. Serve as the primary staff source for scientific information and requests for scientific information concerning pulse crops.
8. Education and Outreach. Coordinate and provide scientific information and research results to support educational efforts, membership services, and marketing missions of the staff.
9. Administrative support. Assist and support in activities of Industry Research Committee and national and regional boards in regards to Pulse Crop Research as requested by Sr. Management Staff. Perform all other duties as assigned.
10. Travel. Serve as Pulse Crop Research Representative in selected national and international research events/meetings.
Minimum Qualifications Required:
MS/MA or PHD or equivalent of 2-3 years of experience. Technical qualifications should include experience in nutrition and food science. The individual should demonstrate effective communication skills, both oral and written, strong computer skills and experience in preparing grants, evaluating research proposals and project management. Position includes travel.
About American Pulse Association & USA Dry Pea and Lentil Council:
The USA Dry Pea and Lentil Council and the American Pulse Association are nonprofit organizations that have served the producers, processors, exporters and food manufacturers of dry peas, lentils, chickpeas and dry beans since 1965. Our mission is to grow the pulse crop industry in the United States.
The organizations have the following four goals:
• Increase Demand (Sales and Consumption) for Pulse Crops.
• Increase the body of research on Health, Nutrition, Functionality and Production / Sustainability of Pulse Crops.
• Ensure Policy that will Promote and Protect the U.S. Pulse Industry.
• Increase membership in the pulse crop coalition.
Our team consists of bright, energetic and talented people who have a passion for promoting the most nutrient dense, cost effective and sustainable food crops on the planet.
Excellent benefit package that includes medical, dental, vision, SEP IRA Retirement Plan and more.
Interested Candidates should forward a resume to email@example.com with Director of Research in the subject line or mail to APA/USADPLC, 2780 W. Pullman Road, Moscow, Idaho 83843-4024. Position closes April 18, 2016.